Monday, January 13, 2014

Day 9: Moving Art

The other day I was browsing Netflix and came across something that I am now completely obsessed with. I’m sure it was recommended to me by Netflix because of my love for documentaries; particularly nature documentaries. It’s a four part series called Moving Art by director Louie Schwartzberg. It focuses on the following subjects: Forest, Ocean, Flowers, and Desert.

Facebook_Timeline_Banner_SunsetWhat Schwartzberg has created is truly breath- taking. Every single shot is magnificently composed in such a beautiful and powerful way. The locations on display are so rich and vibrant that you’ll just want to travel there while you're watching it. One of my favorite things about the series is the fact that there is no voice-over. Instead, music and the sounds of nature fill the audio track allowing the viewer to sit back and watch without the interruption of a narrator spouting facts. It's very refreshing.
 

The music pairs so well with the images that one could mistakenly assume that they were created in tandem. One that particularly stands out for me is the talented Ludovico Einaudi’s piece "White Clouds", that accompanies the last part of Forest. All I could do the first time I watched it was sit in front of the TV (as close as possible) and soak it in. 

Facebook_Timeline_Banner_Tropical2Desert features some great Indian tribal music and wonderfully captures several locations in Moab, Utah (where I have had the pleasure of visiting). In fact, I was surprised to see several shots of the 140 ft arch that I repelled off of during my time there.

If you enjoy nature films and orchestral music, then I would highly recommend that you check the Moving Art series out. I have had it playing in the background at my house for hours on end and I haven't tired of it yet.

Also check out the official site:
http://movingart.com

No comments: