Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Day 25: Snow Day

Today has been great. It’s been one of those days where you get a little taste of everything. After last night's snow and the plunging temperature, the roads were coated with a sleek skin of ice. I wasn't too surprised when I found out from my boss that work had been canceled.

Katie and I watched some TV together in the morning while we drank coffee and ate a really great breakfast that she made. The world outside was just as we left it the night before, save for the fact that the sky was a deep blue and not a snowflake was to be seen falling from the sky. I had to wake up and look out the window several times last night to make sure that the snow yesterday was real. It’s interesting how snow makes the world look so much brighter at night.

We geared up and took a short walk outside. I was amazed by the transformation that had occurred from the day before as we got a close-up view of it. The vibrant contrast between the Georgia red clay, that I have come to know and love, and the white snow was dazzlingly brilliant. I haven’t done any photography in a while, but I tried to do it some justice while we were out.

We walked along the trail that goes behind our house for a little while, soaking in every detail. A golden retriever, a father, and a young girl came up behind us as we were exploring. The man was pulling his daughter along behind him on a little sled as the dog was scouting ahead making sure that the path was clear. Small red scratches were visible across her face, but the blood was stymied by the frigid air so she didn't notice. A twinge of guilt spread across the father’s face as he noticed. He then joked about how he let her sleigh down the incline and into the bushes because his wife wasn't there to stop them.

The snow felt strange under my feet and it made an unexpected scrunchy sound, like a flour-filled balloon being pressed between your fingers. It was a dry and powdery snow. Little prints of cats, people, and deer could be seen breaking up the white monotony. I tracked some large clumps of the floury substance into the house. I was disturbed at first, but then I realized that the snow would just melt and turn into water. No real mess. It was then that I decided to call it magic dirt.   

A little later I was able to start and finish our taxes, catch up on the phone with several people, and spend a few hours on hold and then arguing with health insurance providers. These were all things I would normally have done after work, but I did them all during the day thanks to the snow. This was my first real snow day!

No comments: