Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Day 4: When Work Meets Life


One of my many responsibilities working in Quality Assurance is writing and following SOPs (Standard Operating Procedures). SOPs are extremely important to follow in a manufacturing environment, especially when you work for a company that makes medicine. The safety of both employees and clients can be greatly affected if the appropriate procedures aren't followed correctly.

Since I've been totally engrossed in writing procedures lately, I've had some amount of difficulty leaving those thought processes at work. I find myself constantly creating them in my head and following them while I’m doing mundane things like scraping ice off of my car or re-potting a plant. The other day I was setting up the rice cooker and realized that I was mouthing the words for each step as I went along. For a brief moment I actually considered typing it up and printing it in a work acceptable format.

In general I am a rule follower; if you mix that with an obsessive-compulsive disorder then you have a potentially catastrophic amalgamation. I really don't want to be the guy who categorizes everything in the house and writes procedures for every daily activity.

Sometimes while my wife is in the middle of something, I will point out what the "best way" to do it is. I know it drives her crazy and she already puts up with me and my OCD more than she needs to. I am ever so grateful for her. She's the person that keeps me straight. Huge shout-out to her and her patience!  

No comments: