Saturday, February 15, 2014

Day 42: Avocados


Avocados. No, I'm not talking about the fruit that commonly gets mistaken for a vegetable; I'm talking about our favorite local restaurant. Since we first discovered the little place on the Gainesville square, Katie and I have had countless dates there. It's our go-to restaurant. The food is ridiculously good and an ever changing menu means that the chef is constantly creating delicious new dishes.
Displaying photo.JPG
With a name like Avocados it only seems natural that they would have the best guacamole I've ever had. Their burgers are also (in my humble opinion) the best in town. Or maybe anywhere. Pair the two and you get one of my favorite things on the menu: a burger smothered in the house guacamole. I'm salivating while writing this.

Katie and I went last night for their special valentines day dinner and we were not disappointed. We were given a couple different choices on the menu of different appetizers and entrees. Of course they also had an all-you-can-eat dessert table as well.

For my appetizer I chose the artisan steak salad with sliced avocados and Katie chose the steamed mussels in creamy basil sauce. For our main dishes I chose the T-Bone steak topped with caramelized peppers and french fries. Katie got the beef tenderloin with mashed potatoes and scallops. It was a hard decision because I would have easily eaten any of the items on the menu.

We were both pretty hungry and it didn't take very long for our appetizers to arrive. It was the first steak salad that I had ever had and it was delicious. There was just enough steak and avocado on it to get a portioned amount of each in every bite of salad. The steak was tender and the avocado was perfectly ripe. The salad dressing was some sort of balsamic dressing with cilantro. I tried one of Katie's mussels and it was also really good, particularly the cream basil sauce it was served in.

Shortly after finishing our appetizers, we were brought our main dishes. I ordered my steak rare, because that's the way I like it, and it was very delicious. It was cooked just the way I had asked and it was a very large piece of steak. They also have the best fries in town and I was delighted to see that the rest of the plate was populated with them. I would go there just to get the fries, seriously. I tried a few bites of Katie's plate and hers was fantastic as well.

I hate to say this and it may just be because I'm still sick, but I was not able to finish my entire meal. As I was trying to finish it off, it occurred to me that there was still a fully-loaded dessert table in the room. I tried a little bit of everything on that table and I hurt myself, I really did. I passed the point of being full by a mile, but I was also very satisfied.

We had such a great time there. The atmosphere was very romantic and the food was, as always, amazing. If you live here in Georgia, or are just passing through, you should definitely give them a visit. You won't be disappointed.


      

No comments: