Sunday, February 2, 2014

Day 29: It’s All Stuff

As I was going through some of my stuff in the office yesterday, I was thinking about how important it was for me to bring all of it up here to Georgia. There were so many things that I would probably never use again. There were also several things that held sentimental value, but they weren't really important enough to hold on to.

It’s just weird because a little over two years ago, I thought differently about it all. I thought I really needed all of those things. It doesn't feel like it sometimes, but we've lived fairly light since we moved here. Even so, there were still boxes and bags filled with things I was able to let go of.

Letting go can be hard sometimes though. I was thinking that very thing as I held an old bull horn that a child had turned into a canteen. I bought it when I was in Brazil from a vendor in the city of Belem. It was cheap and made out of sculpey clay, an old plastic water bottle, and a bull horn. It was one of the many things I had found in office from my time in Brazil. I’m never going to use this, I said to myself. I set it down and took a photo of it with my camera before throwing it in the bag.

I felt a twinge of sadness as I let it go. But really, the memory of that trip is more important to me than the things I brought back. Things are really just things and memories last forever.

No comments: