Saturday, March 15, 2014

Day 70: The Desert

I love the desert. Ever since I traversed its dry crumbling landscape as a child I have been enthralled with the vast openness of the sand strewn wasteland. I have tried to capture a part of the desert in my own home by holding captive some of its succulents in my own minuscule contained desert terra. They pale in comparison to the massive saguaro cacti that stand as monuments in the Arizona desert as they watch day turn into night for a 100+ years. But the desert still lives on in my own habitat. 

I became very well acquainted with the colorful red stone of the desert as the tires of my bike tore across it for many days in a predetermined path. I stopped to lunch under rocky overhangs of smooth red pinnacles as the rainless clouds passed by swiftly overhead. I've climbed up the craggy faces of stone with nothing but a piece of rope to save me from a quick drop and sudden stop ending of the smooth sandstone.

I don't know if I would ever want to call it home, but I do love to visit the arid land. 

   

No comments: