Thursday, March 13, 2014

Day 68: The One

 
I've been saving up for over a year for an Xbox One, but due to medical bills and other unforeseen expenses I had to dip into my gaming fund several times for less than fun reasons. Well I almost had enough saved up again and because Katie and I worked so hard to clean our town home before we moved, we received our full deposit. That in turn enabled me to have enough money to make up for the amount I stole from.

The timing worked out great too because I was able to not only get an Xbox One, but to get the Titanfall bundle which was the same price as the regular Xbox. It came boxed with a digital download for the full game. When it arrived I was really really excited and started opening the box and setting everything up. I was reminded of the last time that I did that with a new console.

It was the night of November 22nd 2005, I was exhausted from going to work at 4:30 every morning and putting hours and hours of overtime each week out at the space center. Despite that my dad, my best friend, and his dad all went to the midnight launch for the Xbox 360. It was a memorable occasion despite my level of tiredness and the fact that Brandon and I almost getting mugged in Walmart. Oh Titusville......


Unfortunately this time I could only set my new console up to a certain point. Xbox Live wasn't letting me sign in, which essentially meant that it was unusable because I couldn't download the game or any apps. I guess it was because so many people did the same thing I did and bought the bundle and then everyone tried to sign in or create accounts at the same time. Thus the epic and terribly timed crash. I was pretty annoyed and kept trying to log on the rest of the night to no avail.It was working in the morning though, so before work I got it all set up and started putting a ton of things on the download queue. 

So far the new system has really impressed me. I was blown away by the accuracy of the voice commands and gesture controls. It really does feel futuristic being able to so adeptly control something with your voice. I'm sure I'll find myself attempting to talk to my other devices soon. All of the entertainment applications like Netflix and Amazon are great too and terrifyingly quick.


As far as games go, I only got to play the training section and one quick match of Titanfall. I'll probably do another blog post concerning my thoughts on it once I play it a bit more. 
  

No comments: