Friday, March 7, 2014

Day 62: Holy Basil Batman!

 
As warmer weather (hopefully) begins to descend upon us, it's time for me to seriously consider what I want to start planting this year. Last year I had a lot of success with some herbs like basil, parsley, cilantro, rosemary, mint, oregano and thyme. I also planted a tomato plant that did quite well in the little container on the deck.  I'm really excited though about having a little more room to garden this year.

I want to try to grow a few more types of basil, particularly Holy Basil and Purple Holy Basil (Tulsi). These variations of basil are said to have the most medicinal properties out of the basil family. The leaves and the flowering parts are supposed to be extremely aromatic and brew well in tea. Basil tea is great, it's one of the most relaxing teas that I've had and it's so easy to make. One of my favorite combos is a few leaves of basil, some crushed up mint, a sprig of rosemary and some honey. Not only does it taste great, but it's extremely healthy for you too.

Holy Basil is good for so many things, but one of it's main uses is for stress relief. Katie and I drank a lot of Basil tea last year and I can honestly say that it did help us relax. So I'm going to try to grow some of my own this year from seed. I've heard that the purple variation is quite difficult to grow from seed, but this gardener welcomes the challenge.

No comments: