Saturday, August 30, 2008

Book Adaptations


So I got to thinking yesterday what book or book series would you like to see adapted to the big screen? It can be something that is in production or something that might never see the light of day. Here’s my list so far.



C.S. Lewis’ Space Trilogy

Now I know this would be incredibly challenging and require a lot of alterations but I really enjoyed the story and atmosphere of these books.


Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card

I know that this film is in pre-production-hell and has been for several years, but this classic book would make for a really great original sci-fi film.


I, Jedi by Michael A. Stackpole

Of course this would have to come straight from Lucasfilm but the book’s story was good enough to stand apart from the franchise and it would probably exceed the prequels, at least story-wise.


This Present Darkness by Frank Peretti

Although I read the book a couple of years ago I really enjoyed it and could definitely see a worthy film adaptation, of course with a decent budget.


The Raft by Robert Trumbull

I’m not sure exactly how this would work on the big screen but I absolutely loved this survival story back when I read it.


Here, There be Dragons by James A. Owen

A fun and interesting fantasy that not only pays homage to Lewis and Tolkien but uses them as the main characters in the story. Last I heard, Harry Potter Producer David Heyman was involved with bringing this to the big screen.


Halo: The Fall of Reach by Eric Nylund

If the Halo movie ever does get off the ground I hope they start with this story first, because I believe it would make a much better movie than a strict adaptation of the first game.


Post your picks in the comments

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to see Stephen King's Dark Tower series.

Anonymous said...

The wind in the willows! I loved that book when I was a kid.

Anonymous said...

Did you ever read Brave New World? That would make a great movie!

Anonymous said...

The Silmarillion

Anonymous said...

I know they're already doing it but I can't wait for "The Hobbit". I can't wait to see the huge battle of 5 armies at the end. That had to be my favorite part of the book!